Saturday, 4 July 2015

Art Eye: Big Summer Wave, Maggi Hambling

Hello everyone! You might see that it is a bit different here now. I did some serious maintenance but like all things it might need a bit of tweaking and changing so this is definitely not the final version. After I received a bit of a buzz around my Georgia O'Keeffe Art Eye, I knew I had to do something just as good to come back with. I wanted to look at a piece of work that I am really familiar with, so I chose to look at Maggi Hambling, who I had been recently studying for an art project.




Hambling is a contemporary sculptor and painter, probably most well known for her scallop sculpture on Aldeburgh Beach. A theme in her work is the depiction of water and crashing waves, which works perfectly with her bold handling of paint and colour. Hamblings inclusion of warm yellows and browns in what is otherwise a very cool subject matter makes an interesting visual element, which creates contrasts and energy in the piece, reflecting the subject matter. I do love her work, I find that there is so much expression in her marks and in the way she paints with such energy, I think they are stunning pieces. And the artist herself is a pretty interesting lady!

On to the eye. I was a bit unsure about where to start with this one, so I picked out the main aspect of the wave, the blue tunnel part, and just built it out from the lid until I was happy. (Have a look at this snazzy GIF below)









I have to say, I absolutely love how this turned out, it was exactly how I envisioned it! I like how it feels just as sporadic as Hambling's work. I actually took a really long time to do this, just sort of playing around with it and enjoying the process which I think is really reflected in the outcome.

PRODUCT LIST:
Rimmel Match Perfection in Light Porcelain and Ivory
Collection Primed and Ready
Body Shop Colour Crush Eyeshadow in Blue Over You
Sleek Palettes in Storm, Au Natural and Ultra Mattes V1
Collection Bronze Glow Matte
Barry M Liquid Eyeliner blue
L'oreal Color Riche Le Kohl in Immaculate snow
Clinique High Impact Mascara
Snazaroo Face Paint Palette


I hope you enjoyed this post, and like the new layout and design, I personally love it. And I am loving getting back to blogging after my exams are finally over. Many posts to come.

HGx


No comments:

Post a Comment